St. John of Kronstadt, Russia (1829-1908), relates the following vision he had in January, 1901:
After evening prayers I laid down to rest a little in my dimly lit cell since I was fatigued. Hanging before the icon of the Mother of God was my lampada. Not more than a half hour had passed when I heard a soft rustle. Someone touched my left shoulder, and in a tender voice said to me, "Arise John, servant of God, and follow the will of God!"
I arose and saw near the window a glorious starets1 (elder) with frosty grey hair, wearing a black mantle and holding a staff in his hand. He looked at me tenderly and I could scarcely keep myself from falling because of my great fear. My hands and feet trembled, and I wanted to speak, but my tongue would not obey me. The starets made the sign of the cross over me, and soon I felt calm and joy. Then I made the sign of the cross myself.
01. He then pointed to the western wall of my cell with his staff in order that I should notice a certain spot. The starets had inscribed on the wall the following numbers: 1913, 1914, 1917, 1922, 1924, and 1934.
02. Suddenly the wall vanished, and I walked with the starets (elder) toward a green field and saw a mass of crosses, thousands, standing as grave-markers. They were wooden, clay, or gold. I asked the starets, - "what are these crosses for?" He softly answered, "These crosses are for those who suffered and were murdered for their faith in Christ and for the Word of God and have become martyrs!" And so we continued to walk.
03. Suddenly I saw an entire river of blood and asked the starets, "What is the meaning of this blood? How much has been spilled?" The starets looked around and replied, "This is the blood of true Christians!"
04. The starets then pointed to some clouds, and I saw a mass of burning white lamps. They began to fall to the ground, one after another, by the tens and by the hundreds. During their descent they grew dim and turned to ashes.
The starets then said to me, "Look!" I saw on a cloud seven burning lamps. I asked, "What is the meaning of the burning lamps which fell to the ground?" He said, "Those are the churches of God which have fallen into heresy, but these seven lamps on the clouds are the seven Churches of the One Catholic and Apostolic Church which will remain until the end of the world!"
05. The starets then pointed high into the air and I saw and heard angels singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord of Sabaoth!" Then a large crowd of people with candles in their hands passed by with joy on their shining faces. They were archbishops, monks, nuns, groups of laymen, young adults, and even children and babies. I asked the wonderworking starets, "what do these people represent?" He responded, "All these people are those who suffered for the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, and for the holy icons at the hands of the wicked destroyers."
I then asked the great starets if I could sit down next to them. The starets said, "It is too early for you to suffer, so joining them would not be blessed by God!" Again I saw a large group of infants who had suffered for Christ under Herod2 and had received crowns from the Heavenly King.
06. We walked further and went into a large church. I wanted to make the sign of the cross, but the starets said, "It is not appropriate to cross yourself because this is a place of the abomination of desolation3!" The church was very gloomy. On the altar were a star and a Gospel book with stars. Candles made of tar were burning and crackling like firewood. The chalice was standing there covered by a strong stench.
There was a prosphoro4 with stars. A priest stood before the altar with a face like pitch and a woman was under the altar covered in red with a star on her lips and she screamed and laughed throughout the church saying, "I am free!" I thought: "Oh, Lord, how awful!"
The people, like madmen, began to run around the altar, scream, whistle, and clap their hands. Then they began to sing lecherous songs. Suddenly lightning flashed, a frightening thunderbolt resounded, the earth trembled, and the church collapsed, sending the woman, the people, the priest, and the rest into the abyss. I thought: "Oh Lord, how awful. Save us!"
The starets saw what had happened, as did I. I asked, "Father, tell me, what is the meaning of this frightening church?" He responded, "These are the earthly people, heretics who have abandoned the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and recognized the newly innovated church which God has not blessed. In this church they do not fast, nor do they attend services or receive Holy Communion!" I was frightened and said, "The Lord has pity on us, but curses those with death!" The starets interrupted me and said, "Do not mourn, just pray!"
07. Then I saw a throng of people, each of whom had a star on his lips and was terribly exhausted from thirst, walking here and there. They saw us and yelled loudly, "Holy Fathers, pray for us. It is very hard for us because we ourselves cannot. Our Fathers and Mothers did not teach us the Law of God.5 We do not even have the name of Christ, and we have received no peace. We rejected the Holy Spirit and the sign of the cross!" They began to cry.
08. I followed after the starets. "Look!", he said pointing with his hand. I saw a mountain of human corpses stained in blood. I was very frightened, and I asked the starets, "What is the meaning of these dead bodies?" He replied, "These are people who lived the monastic life, were rejected by the Antichrist, and did not receive his seal. They suffered for their faith in Christ and the Apostolic Church and received martyrs' crowns dying for Christ. Pray for these servants of God!"
09. Without warning the starets turned to the north and pointed with his hand. I saw an imperial palace, around which dogs were running. Wild beasts and scorpions were roaring and charging and baring their teeth. And I saw the Tsar sitting on a throne. His face was pale, but brave. He was reciting the Jesus Prayer.
Suddenly he fell like a dead man. His crown fell. The wild beasts, dogs, and scorpions trampled on the anointed Sovereign. I was frightened and cried bitterly. The starets took me by my right shoulder. I saw a figure shrouded in white it was Nicholas II. On his head was a wreath of green leaves, and his face was white and somewhat bloodied. He wore a gold cross around his neck and was quietly whispering a prayer. And then he said to me with tears, "Pray for me, Fr. John. Tell all Orthodox Christians that I, the Tsar-martyr, died bravely for my faith in Christ and the Orthodox Church. Tell the Holy Fathers that they should serve a Pannychida6 for me, a sinner, but there will be no grave for me!" Soon everything became hidden in the fog. I cried bitterly praying for the Tsar-martyr. My hands and feet trembled from fear.
10. The starets said, "Look!" Then I saw throngs of people scattered about the land who had died from starvation while others were eating grass and vegetation. Dogs were devouring the bodies of the dead, and the stench was terrible. I thought, "Oh Lord, these people had no faith". From their lips they expelled blasphemy, and for this they received God's anger.
11. I also saw an entire mountain of books and among the books worms were crawling emitting a terrible stench. I asked the starets, "what was the meaning of these books?" He said, "These books are the Godlessness and blasphemy which will infect all Christians with heretical teachings!" Then the starets touched his staff to some of the books, and they ignited into flames. The wind scattered the ashes.
12. Further on, I saw a church around which was a large pile of prayer intentions for the departed. I bent over and wanted to read them, but the starets said, "These prayer requests for the dead have been lying here for many years, and the priests have forgotten about them. They are never going to read them, but the dead will ask someone to pray for them!" I asked, "Who, will they get to pray for them?" The starets answered, "The Angels will pray for them!"
13. We proceeded further, and the starets quickened the pace so that I could hardly keep up with him. "Look!" he said. I saw a large crowd of people being persecuted by demons who were beating them with stakes, pitchforks, and hooks. I asked the starets, "What is the meaning of these people?" He answered: "These are the ones who renounced their faith and left the One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and accepted the new innovative church. This group represents priests, monks, nuns, and laymen who renounced their vows or marriage, and engaged in drinking and all sorts of blasphemy and slander. All of these have terrible faces and a terrible stench comes from their mouths. The demons beat them, driving them into the terrible abyss, from where hell fire comes forth." I was terribly frightened. I made the sign of the cross while praying, Lord deliver us from such a fate!
14. I then saw a group of people, both old and young, all of whom were badly dressed, and who were raising a large, five pointed star. On each corner were twelve demons and in the middle was Satan himself with terrifying horns and a straw head. He emitted a noxious foam onto the people while pronouncing these words, "�Arise you accursed ones with my seal... "�
Suddenly many demons appeared with branding irons and on all the people they placed the seal: on their lips, above the elbow7 and on their right hands. I asked the starets, "What is the meaning of this?" He responded, "This is the mark of the Antichrist!" I made the sign of the cross and followed after the starets.
15. He suddenly stopped and pointed to the east with his hand. I saw a large gathering of people with joyous faces carrying crosses and candles in their hands. In their midst stood a large altar as white as snow. On the altar were the cross and the Holy Gospel and over the altar was the vosduch8 with a golden imperial crown on which was written in golden letters: "For the short term." Patriarchs, bishops, priests, monks, nuns, and laymen stood around the altar. They were all singing, "Glory to God in the highest and peace on Earth!" Out of great joy I made the sign of the cross and praised God.
16. Suddenly the starets waved his cross upwards three times, and I saw a mountain of corpses covered in human blood and above them Angels were flying. They were taking the souls of those murdered for the Word of God to heaven while they sang "Alleluia!"
I observed all this and cried loudly. The starets took me by the hand and forbade me to cry. "What is pleasing to God is that Our Lord Jesus Christ suffered and shed His precious blood for us. Such ones will become martyrs who do not accept the seal of the antichrist, and all who shed their blood will receive heavenly crowns." The starets then prayed for these servants of God and pointed to the east as the words of the Prophet Daniel came true, "Abomination of desolation."
17. Finally, I saw the cupola of the church in Jerusalem. Above it was a star. Within the church myriads of people crowded and still many more were trying to enter inside. I wanted to make the sign of the cross, but the starets grabbed my hand and said, "Here is the abomination of desolation!"
So we entered into the church, and it was full of people. I saw an altar on which tallow candles were burning. On the altar was a king in red, blazing, in porphyry. On his head was a golden crown with a star. I asked the starets, "Who is this?" He replied, "the Antichrist!" He was very tall with eyes like fire, black eyebrows, a wedge-shaped beard, and a ferocious, cunning, evil, and terrible face. He alone was on the altar and he reached his hands out to the people. He had claws as those of a tiger and he shouted, "I am King. I am God. I am the Leader. He who does not have my seal will be put to death."
All the people fell down and worshipped him, and he began to place his seal on their lips and on their hands in order that they should receive some bread and not die from hunger and thirst. Around the antichrist his servants were leading several people whose hands were bound as they had not bowed down to worship him. They said, "We are Christians, and we all believe in our Lord Jesus Christ!" The Antichrist ripped off their heads in a flash and Christian blood began to flow.
A child was then led to the altar of the Antichrist to worship him, but he boldly proclaimed, "I am a Christian and believe in our Lord Jesus Christ, but you are a minister, a servant of Satan!" "Death to him!" exclaimed the Antichrist. Others who accepted the seal of the Antichrist fell down and worshipped him.
18. Suddenly a roar of thunder resounded and a thousand lightning flashes began to sparkle. Arrows began to strike the servants of the Antichrist. Then a large flaming arrow flashed by and hit the Antichrist himself on the head. As he waved his hand, his crown fell and was crushed into the ground. Then millions of birds flew in and perched on the servants of the Antichrist. I felt the starets take me by the hand.
We walked further on, and I again saw much Christian blood. It was here that I remembered the words of Saint John the Theologian in the book of revelation, that blood would "be up to the horse's bridle." I thought, Oh my God, save us! At that point I saw Angels flying and singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord of Sabaoth!"
19. The starets looked back and went on to say: "Do not grieve, for soon, very soon, will come the end of the world! Pray to the Lord. God is merciful to His servants!"
20. Time was drawing near to a close. He pointed to the east, fell to his knees and began to pray. So I prayed with him. Then the starets began to quickly depart from the earth to the heights of heaven. As he did so I remembered that I did not know his name, so I cried out loudly: "Father, what is your name?" He tenderly replied, "Seraphim of Sarov!" This is what I saw and what I have recorded for Orthodox Christians.
A large bell rang above my head, and I heard the sound and arose from bed. "Lord, bless and help me through the prayers of the great starets! You have enlightened me, the sinful servant, the priest John of Kronstadt."
Notes by Monk Leontios Dionysiates (LMD).
The documentation of the prophecy first circulated in Russia and afterwards in the Diaspora by Russians and other Slavs (e.g. I.K. Sursky, Father John of Kronstadt, Belgrade, 1941). This particular document was taken from
"�Voronezh Eparchy Messenger" issue 11, 1992, and it is quite possibly the most authentic. During the Soviet persecution of Christians there were small interventions made by some to tie certain events together.
For example, the "�Living Church" was secretly run by the communists and was used by them to break the Russian Church. And so they added the term "�Living" to the name "�Modern Church" mentioned in section 06 of the vision, (perhaps) in order to cause people to react more intensely against it.9 In reality, such a thing was superfluous. Also, in another document made public in 1952, the woman in red in section 06 of the vision is alone and wearing black. Her cries of being freed send the masses into a frenetic rejoicing.10 Also, the date 1933 is mentioned instead of 1934. But this is not particularly significant because, as we shall see, this number represents the second phase of the famine in the Ukraine which reached its peak in 1933 and finished in 1934. These matters do not in any way detract from the authenticity of the vision. Its structure, which is analyzed below, and its comparison with other Orthodox prophecies, confirm it.
In order to facilitate commentary, the vision presented here is divided into sections. The vision begins with the appearance of the "�glorious starets" who, at the end of St. John of Kronstadt "�s vision was revealed to be St. Seraphim of Sarov, a great saint who is also called the "�Elder of Russia "�. It is he who later guides St. John to the future.
01. The numbers which the starets marked on the wall were most critical, especially for Russia. He shows them to St. John of Kronstadt at the beginning of the vision because they will mark corresponding events observed during the rest of the vision, such as Antichrist and the period just before the Second Coming, which mark the end of human history.
The series of dates begins after the festive celebrations marking the 300 years of the Romanov dynasty in 1913, with the First World War which in 1914 spreads into Russia, attacked then by Germany and the Ottoman Empire. The bloody Bolshevik Revolution follows in 1917. In 1922 a great famine occurred in the Volga region and in 1932-34 another famine occurs, this time in the Ukraine. The date 1922 is of interest to Greece for it marks the Asia Minor Disaster, as is 1924, which marks the division arising between the Old and New Calendarists (after the introduction of the new Calendar to the Church that same year).
02. The wooden, ceramic or golden crosses were given to those who had previously died for the Orthodox Faith and became martyrs. The value of each material from which the crosses were made corresponds to the intensity of each martyr's spiritual struggle.
03. The river of blood which the priest St. John later saw was explained by St. Seraphim to be "�the blood of true Christians "�. Regarding sections 04 and 06, he assures that it is not the blood of complacent heretics who are wrongly called Christians, but rather the blood of true Christians!
04. Complacency and arrogance led a multitude of churches that earlier had faith and stood along with their lamps at the heights of the Heavenly city to fall towards the ground, in other words, to lose their spirituality because of their obsession with worldly things, in the tens and in the hundreds. During their fall they were darkened and became ashes, because Christianity is extinguished wherever there is no communion with the light of Christ, through the following of His commandments according to the genuinely-preserved Tradition of the Eastern Church.
Heretics reject Tradition and each one creates his own "�church" according to his wishes. The starets explains quite clearly: "�These, with extinguished lamps, are the churches of God that have fallen into heresy. "�
However, until the Last Day there will remain the 7 local Churches, of the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church "�. This does not mean that there will not be people within them with heretical attitudes. But those heretics will not be able to lead those Churches, in their entirety, away from the Truth that was handed down to them. This will hold true even though there will be great corruption, as St. Kosmas of Aetolia had said, "�the clergy will become the worst and the most impious of all" (see. "�Prophecies" html or pdf). And, as it is explained in the "�Prophecies" issue, St. Kosmas is speaking of moral sins (the worst) and of heresies (the most impious), e.g. Ecumenistic syncretism, even the pan-Religion. The Apostles also speak of progressive apostasy which, like another Judas Iscariot, will betray the Master and follow Antichrist. And the Antichrist will not come "�unless the apostasy comes first" (2 Thess. 2:3).
05. In this section, the scene becomes harmonious with the joyous faces of the saved who pass before St. John. What justified them was that "�they suffered for the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, for the holy icons at the hands of the wicked destroyers"�. We note that the true struggle for Christians, to suffer for their faith and even for sacred objects such as icons, has a great reward in life after death. So appealing was the state of those Christians that St. John himself wished to leave this life and join them. But it was not possible for St. John to be numbered with those who suffered so greatly for their faith - even though he also toiled greatly in his previous life! Let us remember that: "�in my Father's house there are many mansions"� (John 14:2), and: "�to sit on my right and on left hand is not mine to give! It is [reserved] for whom it has been prepared by my Father"� (Matt. 20:23).
The new-born who were afflicted by the persecutions against Christ, and were earlier killed by Herod, or who will be killed in successive periods by other Herods, will be found worthy to belong to the privileged mansion of the Martyrs, where not even St. John was ready to dwell!
06. After the joy described in the previous section comes the distressing depiction of the heretics who are now found to have established the pan-heresy of pan-Religion. Here, ritualistic symbols are used to imitate the Christian religion; but they are unclean because they are not ascribed to the True God, Whose worship the heretics wish to abolish with pan-Religion. Rather, they promote the worship of Satan, who always attempts to imitate divine things in order to hide his ugliness and to deceive the naive.
This "�church"� is "�a place of the Abomination of Desolation"�, i.e. of Antichrist, for the holy prophet Daniel calls the Antichrist the "Abomination of Desolation". The pan-Religion seeks to remove the worship of the True God from people's lives by advocating a new religion, which is revealed by Satan and which is promoted by his organizations on Earth. Its founders are "�the worldly people, the heretics"�. Here, St. Seraphim clearly states that the protestant-type heresies that come from heretics with worldly attitudes, will lead to the pan-heresy of pan-Religion, with Ecumenism as its intermediate stage.
The pan-religious gatherings under Pope John Paul II which began in Assisi, Italy in 1986, and the "�inter-religious conferences"� that occur in great numbers today in Russia, confirm that the pan-Religion has come to be promoted at the same time with Ecumenism! (Satan knows that his time is short... This is what makes them hurry).
The holy bishop, St. Theophan the Recluse, prophesied the hypocrisy and the apostasy of a large part of the Orthodox: "�Even though Christ's name will be heard everywhere and there will be visible churches and church services, these will only be so in appearance; for inside them there will prevail a real apostasy. In that environment, the Antichrist will be born..."�11
Starets Lavrenty (+1950) speaks of the great hypocrisy that will promote Antichrist and his religion: "�There will come a time when they will renovate even closed churches and they will make them firm on the inside and on the outside. They will gild the domes and the belfries. But when this time has passed, the period of the reign of Antichrist will begin. Pray to the Lord for more time so that we may make ourselves more firm, for terrible times await us. Do you not see how hypocritically all things have been arranged? Every church will be as magnificent as before. But no one should go to anyone of them (during the time of Antichrist). The Antichrist will be crowned king in a large church in Jerusalem, with the participation of clergy and the Russian Patriarch."�12
Also, from starets Seraphim of Vyritsa (1866-1949):
"�As a candle that burns bright and shoots sparks when it is about to be extinguished, enlightening all the darkness around it, so will be the life of the Church in the last days. And those days are near us."� Starets Seraphim warned his spiritual children:
"�There will come a time when money, comforts and pleasures, instead of persecutions, will place people away from God, and more souls will be lost than in other times when there was an overt war against God. On the one hand, they will lift up crosses and gild domes and on the other, evil and lies will dominate. The true Church will always be persecuted and people will be saved only by affliction and sickness. Persecutions will be devious and unforeseen. It will be terrible to live through that time... I feel sorry for those who do so."�
The climate of love of worldly comfort and of false-peace is being promoted today by Ecumenism and pan-Religion which will ultimately, according to St. John's vision, serve as an (anti)church, the Antichrist.
Hypocrisy is great in this "�Church"�, but no one is fooled except for those who take part in it; for starets Seraphim observes: "�In this church, no one fasts, no one follows the services and receives Holy Communion"�! Even though it seems that they follow "�church services"�, celebrate the "�holy Eucharist"� and have an "�altar table"� etc., all those things are for the worship of Antichrist, which definitely began before its time! The black priest is perhaps some black "�president"� or general secretary of a "�United Churches"� and the woman in red is the bloodthirsty anti-Christian and flesh-loving authority/government. She hides under the altar table and now feels liberated - but only for evil. Rather, she cannot utter a single good word, because Satan sealed her mouth with his symbol, the star.
What will happen to this "church" in the future is foretold in this section of the vision. Suddenly, not only the priest and the woman, but all the people of this "�church"� fell into the abyss by a completely abrupt and, for many, unexpected event. This, at the end of the world, will be the Second Coming, while earlier and closer to our time, the lightning bolts of the 3rd World War. This war will suspend the apostasy, for a time, and will have as a result the spread of Orthodoxy throughout the world. But the decisive end to all evil will come from the Second Coming.
07. In Russia, which is the focus of the vision, a large number of unfortunate people died during those years of atheism without being taught our Faith. Rather, they died in a state of blasphemy (with the satanic star on their lips). After death, all of them recognized the truth but they could not help themselves. They waited, and are still waiting, for help from those still living". Or, as Tarso of Athens and Fool for Christ told her guests: "�There are those of the dead who are in the belly of Hades; they are not in a good state and they need our help. Of those there are members of parliament, pig-keepers, shoe-makers, merchants" Dig here, under the dirt, and you will find souls that are crying out. Take away those large stones. Dig here, make some room for the souls are suffering! They will suffocate if we do not release them... make even a small hole so they can get some air... Will you help me, my little brother?�"(!)13
08. Afterwards, elder Seraphim shows St. John "�a mountain of human corpses stained with blood."� He explains that the dead are the monks and nuns of the Church. They were murdered because they did not compromise with Antichrist, they did not receive his seal and so, were rejected by him. "�They suffered for their faith in Christ... and received the crowns of Martyrdom."� This section is of great interest because of the following:
a) The narration of martyrdoms has not yet reached the time of the last Antichrist, who reveals himself in section 17; therefore the Antichrist here is the former Antichrist ruler, the leader of communism, initially Lenin. (It is worthy to note that the church is not concerned with the political hue of various movements, but communism is fundamentally antitheist, according to its basic theories, and in practice it proved to be bloodthirsty, murderous and thieving). The tens of millions of Martyrs of the former Soviet Union make not only one, but many mountains of corpses. Here, this part of the vision must relate to the monks and nuns who were martyred during communism because there was never so great a persecution in history that could be tied to the one narrated in the series of events in the vision. The persecution of monks in Russia was also prophesied by Abba Moses the Ethiopian: "�...the servant of God Moses saw clouds and storms, a dark fog of terrible temptations falling upon the Monks of the Arctic (North, Russia), and that the Monks and the monastic Schema were being persecuted by destructive heresies, and that many of them were compelled to marry. Then, only a few fighters will thrive who are tested and purified as gold or silver in a crucible, with many afflictions and persecutions as well as worries"...�14
b) What is of interest is that those who were martyred were "�rejected"� by the Antichrist of that period, i.e. they did not "�work things out"� with him! Starets Seraphim explains the meaning of this: "�They did not receive his seal."� And earlier (07), as it is later (17) those who accept the ideology of Antichrist are sealed and obey its dictates. They received the seal of Antichrist on their lips so that they may not utter a good word or call upon God for help. And so, all monastics and clergy who "�compromised"� with anti-Christian communism and who were not rejected by Antichrist are regarded as sealed by him! With his famous "�Declaration"� of 1927, Sergius, metropolitan of Nizhni-Novgorod at that, placed the Russian Church under partial control of the atheist and worldly communist leadership. Some hierarchs as well as other clergy of the Russian church became secularized and were recruited as agents by the KGB!
That period was extremely difficult, and even if there were people who did not at all compromise such as St. Luke the wonderworker (1877-1961) archbishop of Simferopol, it would not be correct to judge too harshly those who in some manner compromised. For this reason we referred to the good aspects (after the publication of the issue in Greek) shown by Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and all Russia before his death, regardless of his relationship with the KGB. (In Greek: gr1 and others in English: en1 en2)
It seems the secularization of the Russian hierarchy continues, even though in some matters, such as the Pope's visit to Russia, at a more restrained pace than other Orthodox Churches. A news article from 8/30/2006 reports the insistence of metropolitan Cyril, responsible for the Moscow Patriarchate's foreign affairs and Patriarch since Feb. 1, 2009, on the continuance of the Patriarchate's participation in the WCC (World Council of Churches), because
"�the retreat from the W.C.C. will undermine Orthodoxy's position in the world!..."�
In the same article, though, he admits that there is a crisis:
"�The crisis of the Ecumenical Movement is tied primarily to the crisis that has changed many protestant communities which are being driven toward an extremist liberalization and a radical modernization of spirituality, and they have undone many fundamental principles and dogmas of Christian morality"�, referring specifically to the novel practices of the ordination of homosexuals and the
"�blessing"� of homosexual unions. He maintains that
"�there has been an advisory cooperation between the national Orthodox Churches, and often this organization offers a unique platform for meetings between Orthodox participants in order to discuss current burning problems"�! In short, the Orthodox cannot work out issues on their own, but need to be under the auspices of the Babel of the WCC in order to do so! (interfax).15
Is there really some invisible obstacle coming from the plan towards Globalization that prevents the Orthodox from following the true path of our Tradition, and for this reason they concern themselves with secular models of unity, while at the same time they do not forget to promote the pan-Religion with their "�Inter-religious Conferences"�?
09. "Without warning" and without leaving the period depicted in section 07, the vision narrates the martyrdom of Tsar Nicholas II. The angry and beastly souls of the persecutors are depicted by corresponding animals: "�The wild beasts, the dogs and the scorpions trampled upon the king"�. Being a human, the king was also, without a doubt, a sinner. But he was anointed king in the name of the Super-essential Trinity; therefore the murder was not only a sin before people but first before God. This is why the prophet-king David, though he was loved by God, did not dare raise a hand against king Saul. And he said to him: "�...the Lord delivered thee this day into my hands, and I would not lift my hand against the Lord's anointed [king]."�16
Tsar Nicholas II and his family were murdered on July 17, 1918. On this day the Russian Orthodox Church commemorates the holy martyr duke Andrey Bogoliubsky, who was the first to institute Orthodoxy and the monarchy into the governmental structure of Holy Russia. Essentially, he was the first Tsar of Russia.
The night of the martyrdom of the Tsar and his family, Maria the Fool for Christ saw the occultist murderers with her divine gift of clairvoyance. She was furious and while in Diveyevo she cried, "�The princesses with spears! Accursed Jews!"� She was extremely maddened but only later did others understand why she was shouting. In the basement of the house belonging to Ipatiyefski, where the martyr-kings and their faithful servants completed their cross-bearing journey, there were found inscriptions left by their executioners. One of those inscriptions consisted of four Kabbalistic symbols whose meaning is: "�Here, under the command of satanic forces, the Tsar was sacrificed for the State"�s destruction. Let the world know this."�17
The aforementioned confirms that the royal family was martyred and the deaths of its members were not simply political assassinations. According to Lenin's directives, the communists burned the royal family's corpses with acid and buried them in a forest outside Yekaterinburg. For 75 years the existence of the grave was unknown until a special committee found and exhumed their bones. St. John of Kronstadt, some years before his falling asleep, constantly warned of the terrible events that awaited, saying, among other things, that Russia without its Tsar would not even have the name Russia, and that it would become a
"�foul-smelling corpse"�, as it became so in reality. Russia became the Soviet Union and, as an officially atheist state, spread the foul stench of its dead faith.
10. After a few years the period of famine is depicted in the vision. This terrible famine struck the Volga region of Russia in 1921-22 and then in the Ukraine in 1932-34, reaching its peak in 1933. On November 28, 2006 the Ukrainian parliament recognized the famine as genocide "�orchestrated by Joseph Stalin"� and responsible for the deaths of 10 million people. The pro-western faction of the Ukrainian parliament referred to the famine as an "�act of genocide"� while the pro-Russian faction said that the events could be called simply a "�tragedy"�.18
If we examine it from a spiritual perspective, the famine, according to St. John of Kronstadt, was a matter of unbelief: "�those people did not have faith. From their lips came forth blasphemies."� The Gospel informs us that among the troubles to come are "�famines, plagues, and earthquakes in various places."�19 And those are only the beginning of the calamities to come: "�But all these things are [only] the beginning of the birth pains."�20 The book of the Revelation of St John describes this with two consecutive seals that reveal escalating trials, one from the black horse and the other from the pale horse.
The black horse expresses a more mild famine: "�And behold, there was a black horse and its rider had a balance in his hand."�21 In other words, food is not entirely withheld but rationed out. The voice from the heavens, from Him who governs what occurs, determines that one day's wages will only cover either one loaf of wheat bread or three loaves of barley bread. Olive oil and wine will also be available: "�I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, 'A quart of wheat for a day's wage and three quarts of barley for a day's wage! Do not damage the oil and the wine!..."�22 But the horse that is "�pale"� i.e. yellow-green, like the color of bones once they are exhumed, kills one quarter of a region's inhabitants, when it receives the authority, "�with the sword, with famine, with death, and by the wild animals of the earth"�.23 Here we have a number of disasters occurring together. In the particular case of the Ukraine, the famine killed millions. Therefore, this was not simply a trial of famine but a quite advanced "�sorrow"� of the kind coming from the pale horse.
It is worthy to note that from 1917, the martyr-like Patriarch Tikhon (1865-1926), gave valuables from the churches in order to combat the famine of 1921. Exceptions were objects that could not be allowed for casual use such as communion chalices and vessels for the holy bread. But the Soviet establishment found the opportunity to demand property from the Church, resulting in disruptions and persecutions. Godless soldiers and police fell upon churches while priests resisted. Trials and executions of priests followed, with their resistance formally condemned as "�counter-revolutionary"� and themselves convicted as "�enemies of the people."�24 Even so, the Church's stolen property never made its way to help the starving.
11. Regarding the books "�that are impious and blasphemous which will infect all Christians with heretical teachings,"� St. Seraphim ensures that some of them are destroyed. Perhaps this refers to his teachings, miracles and prophecies which nullify and destroy the appearance of seriousness of heretical and atheist works, especially when things worsen and people desire reliable sources instead of pseudo-philosophies.
12. In this section angelic help is emphasized, not only towards the living but also for the departed. For this reason the Church always asks for assistance from the Holy Angels, including the guardian angel of every believer, since every baptized Orthodox Christian receives a guardian angel to help, protect and direct him towards the good.
13. "...Accepted the new innovative church... and engaged in drinking and all sorts of blasphemy and slander". We observe that in this "�religion"�, there are neither moral obstacles nor spiritual control over evil; rather, immorality, blasphemy and deviousness prevail. Truly, there is a vast difference between the principles of this "�religion"� and those of Christianity. We are not speaking here of a gradual corruption of the Orthodox by protestant groups.
For how can something like that succeed, that is, for so many to suddenly leave the Faith for an opposing camp with only material goals and conflicting spiritual values? Rather, this corruption was realized through the sudden outbreak of the communist revolution, with an ideology that is much like the "�religion"� depicted in the vision. This ideology or, better, religion found fertile ground in Russia, with many victims, especially during the blurry period of the Revolution, and from there it spread to many other parts of the earth.
The atheism of the communists is expressed exactly as a religion, with absolutist dogmas, regardless of the pseudo-scientific arguments that are used to prop it up. Because science evolves with knowledge while communism is a doctrine, unchangeable from its very establishment. During the time of Antichrist the remaining religions will be integrated with that of atheism. Its leader, Antichrist, will appear to the materialistic contemporaries as the evolution of an "�underdeveloped mankind"�, a sort of "�superman"� who will arrive, in part, as a result of scientific progress (especially genetics). This is also accepted by communism, which will then retake the reigns of government.25 Another part that will contribute to the incarnation of the superman-Antichrist will be magic and Satan himself, but this will not be made known to many.
"�This group represents the priests, monks, nuns and laymen who rejected their vows or their marriages"�, the elder explains. Truly, many -even priests- were deceived by the modernistic secular "�religion"� of communism. They quickly distanced themselves from every virtue because they were in an anti-Christian environment. This is why the demons guided them directly into the abyss, "�from which proceed the fires of hell"�, because they have no virtue or something good to hold onto. They had abandoned these spiritual gifts in favor of an antitheist system. Discernment, however, is required from those who simply lived under such an atheistic state and from those who supported it, transgressing Christian teachings throughout their lives.
14. We have not yet reached the age of the final Antichrist, whom St. John shall later see, but the sealing of people begins! Those who receive the seal, invisibly and/or visibly, consciously support evil, in word and in deed, with Satan as its leader and with his sign, the pentagram: "...and who were raising a large, five pointed star". Satan calls accursed all those who join him and receive his seal, invisibly and/or visibly: "Arise you accursed ones with my seal"...
We were taught by the Lord "bless those who curse you" (Matt. 5:44). In other words, not only must we not curse people, but we must say kind words about those who curse us. Instead, whoever voluntarily served the devil, acting against God's commandments, will suffer the consequences of his choice, as it is written in the Psalm: "He loved cursing, and it shall come upon him; and he took not pleasure in blessing so it shall be removed far from him." (Psalm 108:17 LXX). It is unknown, though, who among those loved the curse (i.e. the devil and his works), because only God sees into people's souls. St. Kosmas reveals to us that, among those who loved the curse and followed the devil is the Pope of Rome in the period of the "general" or 3rd World War, and for this reason he says: "Curse the Pope because he will be the cause of it." (90th Prophecy. See "The complete Prophecies of Saint Kosmas the Aetolos" html or pdf).
All who are sealed spiritually and/or, in our times, materially, lose their freedom to speak and to act, because the satanic seal prevents them from speaking (with the lips) and doing (with the hands) something good. The demons "placed the seal on their lips, above the elbow and on their right hands". The starets said, "This is the mark of the Antichrist!" In other words, before the time of the final Antichrist there will be an equivalent seal, promoted by his forerunners, persecutors of the truth and heretics. This is why it is applied by the demons who cannot do anything good.
Starets Seraphim previously showed people with the seal of Antichrist. One of the strongest messages in the vision is that in the last days in which we live, people will be led astray by forces of evil, and those who submit or, as we said earlier (section 08), "�work things out"� with those forces will be considered to be sealed by Satan.
In this section it seems that Satanism is generalized in its various forms, in the young who, for example, imitate rock singers by wearing hideous clothing and satanic symbols such as 666,26 but also in the older people who participate in satanic, magical or Masonic rites, dressed strangely. And in these cases it is revealed at some point that they all receive the seal of Satan. God allows this since people desire it so much, but they cannot imagine what awaits them.
The pentagram star was chosen by Satan to be his symbol, which is already used in satanic rites, with one of its corners turned downwards symbolizing Satan's fall from heaven. He used to be a rational star that fell from heaven, as it is told by the Lord Jesus Christ: "�I saw Satan having fallen like lightning from heaven!"�27 And the Prophet Isaiah wrote: "�How has Lucifer, that rose in the morning, fallen from heaven!"�28
This seal, and that of Antichrist later, declare the entire connection between deluded people and the inventor and leader of evil, Satan (who will be embodied in the final Antichrist), and their inability to do (with the hand) or say (with the lips) even the smallest good.
According to Elder Paisios the Hagiorite (+1994), when the final Antichrist appears he will say: "�I am the Imam (that the Muslims expect), I am the fifth Buddha (for the Buddhists), I am Christ (whom the Christians expect), I am he whom the Jehovah's witnesses await, I am the Messiah of the Jews!"� The five I's make the five points of the star!!!29 This is why Ecumenism and the pan-Religion are useful to Satan...
Even though Antichrist has not appeared yet, there are fanatical supporters of his who receive the seal voluntarily and through evil deeds, and the seal has the same weight, as the Elder said: "�This is the sign of the Antichrist!"�
15. Fortunately for mankind and for us who study the vision, something interesting is coming, not from the West but from the East. This changes the atmosphere of gloomy events that precede the coming of the final Antichrist and which would lead even more people towards him if something would have not cut this plummet short. This event is also known from other Orthodox prophecies and reports from the Fathers.
This is the relighting of Orthodoxy, a little before the end of the world. This will occur after the 3rd World War, or "�general war"� as it is called by St. Kosmas of Aetolia. In this section the war is not mentioned because it is already mentioned in section 06, when it is revealed exactly how the ecumenistic religion is destroyed by the lightning bolts of World War III. After the punishment of the pseudo-religion's adherents into the abyss (Hades), only the Orthodox Church will remain in the forefront.
The Holy Altar was "�so white, as the snow"�. This signifies the purity of the Orthodox faith during this period. Then some of the heretics will be destroyed while others will be silenced by fear, but also the Church's hierarchs will not dare to confuse, for the sake of the secular "�love"� and "�peace"� and other worldly expediencies, the Truth of Orthodoxy with the theatrics of the heretics. On the one hand, they will be surprised by the upcoming World War - while they were waiting for peace - and on the other hand, they will be afraid of "�the crown"�, i.e. the authority of an Orthodox emperor.
The astonishing, to many, revival of the Eastern Roman Empire, will cut off the path of Satanism and will delay the coming of Antichrist. The Zionist and Masonic controlled "�democratic"� governments not only facilitate but also promote Satanism.
The Fathers, such as St. Hippolytus and St. John Chrysostom, place the coming of Antichrist immediately after the end of the Roman Empire, and the ensuing anarchy from the democracies that arise. They view the Roman Empire30 as the "�one who restrains"�, in the material plane, for which the Apostle Paul says: "�And now, you know what the (restraining) power is... For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work! Only the power that restrains now (to do so) until it is taken out of the way. Then the lawless one (Antichrist) will be revealed."� 31
St. John Chrysostom says: "�Initially, one will rightly ask what is the 'one who restrains'... Some say it is the grace of the Holy Spirit, others say the Roman power; and I agree with the latter."�32
The Roman Empire had been chosen, despite its idolatrous foundations, in order to aid in the spreading of Christianity, with its integrated laws that were applied to its large geographic regions. The Roman power during the Byzantine period and the daughter kingdom of Russia both supported Christianity and ended in 1453 and 1917 respectively. But in Greece the flame of piety has not yet been extinguished: It has the only Constitution that invokes the name of the Holy and Consubstantial Trinity. The masonic Greek Junta of 1967 and their "�democratic"� successors were and are still trying to abolish it. The European Union wishes to do the same to all its people's constitutions, and this is controlled by underground interests and various councils.
The relighting of Orthodoxy and the return of the pro-Christian Orthodox Roman Empire seems to fit into the foreseen series of events. This is confirmed by other prophecies such as those from former Hagarene (Turkish Muslim) now Othodox Saint, Daniel the Righteous. He witnessed that in an underground Liturgy in 1764 in Constantinople there were present all the ranks of the Angels, the Mother of God and Christ Himself, along with "�a throne upon which sat an old man (I do not know if he was awake or asleep). On his head there was a diadem and in his hands a heavily adorned Gospel book that was closed... After all the Saints received Holy Communion, the two Patriarchs of Constantinople, Sts. Metrophanes and John Chrysostom proceeded to wake the old man who was sleeping on the throne. St. Metrophanes took the diadem from the old man's head and St. Chrysostom took the Gospel from his hands... The old man worshiped devoutly, and the Lord gave to him the Holy Mysteries from the Holy Chalice. Following this He took the Gospel from the hands of St. Chrysostom and placed it in his hands. He also took the crown from St. Metrophanes and placed it on his head."�33
The old man waits for the time to come because his crown was already given to him! And the Gospel is ready for the re-evangelization of the world. He is not "�marbleized"� (i.e. completely asleep, frozen; according to the legend of the Marbleized King), he is only half-asleep... Then the 8th and final Ecumenical Council will take place, which will take away the rottenness of new heresies and which will unite Orthodox believers from all over the world. The thrones upon which the hierarchs of the 8th Council will sit were seen by the St. Daniel the Righteous. A former Hagarene (Turkish Muslim) confesses this ...! These things will most definitely happen.
But, clearly, this will be "�for a short time."�34 The interruption of the anti-Christian forces will be worldwide. There will be a spiritual awakening in the entire world. And in Russia there will reign a pious Tsar, since the vision immediately concerns Russia.
Regarding this, the bishop Theophanes of Poltava said35 in 1930: "�Russia shall be resurrected and all the world will be astonished... The Orthodox monarchy will be restored. A mighty Tsar will be placed on the throne by the Lord Himself. He will be a great reformer and strong in the Orthodox faith. He will drive the unfaithful bishops away from the Church. This same Tsar will be an exceptional person, with a pure and holy soul. He will command a mighty counsel. He will be of the Romanov dynasty, through his mother..."�
This will all be a recess before the end: "�But Russia will prevail for a very short time. Soon thereafter will come those things spoken by the Apostle John in Revelations36..." What Russia will endure will be endured also by the rest of the world, i.e. it will proceed into the period of the final Antichrist, which is described in the later sections.
16. Before the appearance of the final Antichrist and after the relighting of Orthodoxy, the situation once again worsens, and new Martyrs are added to the bosom of the triumphant Church in Heaven. New persecutions and disorders will lead to the leadership of Antichrist over the entire world.
17. In this section the events culminating in the glory of the Antichrist are described. He will be based in Jerusalem, and his throne will be in the rebuilt temple of Solomon, as it is foreseen in Bible prophecy and interpreted by the Church Fathers. What is new is that he will use the star as his symbol, as we have seen in previous sections, and that there are some descriptions of his physical characteristics.
The elder grabbed the hand of St. John, so he would not regard the making of the sign of the cross as recognizing a religious value to the place of the abomination of desolation. He advised the same when they entered the pan-heretical gathering mentioned in section 06. Not only are joint prayers forbidden, but also the sign of the cross at gatherings of heretics or other religions! So then, why should we be participating in them, such as the W.C.C.?
The Antichrist does not hide his wickedness, as Sts. Seraphim and John observe, but attempts using every means possible - even in his temple - to destroy the faithful Christians who do not receive his seal.
18. The end of the Antichrist will not delay. He will keep his kingdom37 for 3.5 years, while 3.5 years earlier he will play a role on the international stage, likely to cultivate the people's assent for him to govern the planet. His end as well as that of his servants is described in this section.
Despite this, the End of the World does not come yet. It is mentioned in the vision: "�We went further, and again I saw a lot of Christian blood"�. But, according to St. Neilos the myrrh-streamer, the murders will end with the deathly punishment of Antichrist. Quite simply, the Saints observe that it had already happened outside of Jerusalem.
19. In this section the elder recommends prayer, We are only a few days away from the Second Coming, within the 45 days which is the difference between 1290 days stated by St. John the Apostle in Revelations and 1335 days mentioned by the prophet Daniel in the Old Testament,38 to whom the Lord also referred when speaking of the end of the world to His disciples.
20. The aforementioned constitutes the continuation and confirmation of the previous section. Christ, the noetic East, will rise soon, with his Second Coming and the terrible Judgment. There is no more time.
There are no more historical events for Starets Seraphim to show, and that is why he ascends to Heaven as he revealed his name to St. John of Kronstadt and, through St. John, to us.
Written in Greek: 2007
Adaptation and translation in English: October 2013
Leontios Monahos Dionysiates
1. The term starets (elder) signifies a monk or in some cases a married priest, who has led an exceptionally holy life. The starets is marked by his prayerful life, his asceticism both physical and spiritual, and his ability to guide others to the path of salvation.
2. See St. Matthew 2:16-18. The slaughter of these children is observed in the Orthodox Church on December 29 as the Feast of the Holy Innocents.
3. The phrase, abomination of desolation, comes from the Prophecy of Daniel 42:11. The Lord Jesus Christ refers to it in Matt. 24:15 and in Mk. 13:14.
4. Prosphoro is the bread used for the Holy Eucharist.
5. The Law of God, known in Russian as Zakon Bozhij, is a catechetical book of the Church.
6. A Pannychida is a memorial service (formally after an all-night vigil) for the departed.
7. In other versions the phrase appears as "�on the forehead"� instead of "�on the elbows"�.
8. Covering used for the Holy Gifts in the Divine Liturgy.
9. See, for example the edition, «St. John of Kronstadt, in Fomin», pg. 137-141, from «Orthodox Russia», № 20 (517) in Russian, translated in V. Moss, «The Imperishable Word», Old Woking, Gresham Press, 1980.
10. From «The Vision of John of Kronstadt», «Orthodox Rus», № 20, 15/28-Οκτ-1952, as above.
11. Bishop Theophan, Tolkovanie na Vtoroe Poslanie sv. Apostola Pavla k Soluniam, 2.3-5.
"�Starets Lavretiy"� in the "�Epitome"� by LMD, in Greek.
13. See I. Kornaraki, Tarso the Fool for Christ, 2003, p. 134.
14. "�Prophecices"� in Greek, Abba Moses the Ethiopian, Regarding Monks of the Last Generation.
16. LXX 1 Kingdoms 26:23
17. "�Life and Martyrdom of the Russian Royal Family"�, published by Orthodoxe Kypsele, p. 31, in Greek.
19. Matt. 24:7
20. Matt. 24:8
21. Rev. 6:5
22. Rev. 6:6
23. Rev. 6:8
24. See "�Starets Sampson"�, 2nd Ed., Holy Monsatery of Nicopolis, 1991, p. 88, in Greek.
25. See the prophecies of St. Matrona in the "�Epitome"� by LMD, in Greek.
26. The words of elder Lavretiy are terrifying: "�And in the last days Hell will be full of young people"�!
27. Luke 1:18
28. Isaiah 14:12
29. "�Spiritual Awakening "�, Sourote, 1999, p. 176, in Greek.
30. "Who is it then who restrains until now but the fourth beast [the Roman Empire], after which, once it is removed and taken out of the way, will come the deceiver"? St. Hippolytus of Rome, on the book of Daniel.
31. Thess. 6:8
32. "One may naturally enquire, what is that which withholdeth, and after that would know, why Paul expresses it so obscurely. What then is it that withholdeth, that is, hindereth him from being revealed? Some indeed say, the grace of the Spirit, but others the Roman empire, to whom I most of all accede. Wherefore? Because if he meant to say the Spirit, he would not have spoken obscurely, but plainly, that even now the grace of the Spirit, that is the gifts, withhold him. And otherwise he ought now to have come, if he was about to come when the gifts ceased; for they have long since ceased. But because he said this of the Roman empire, he naturally glanced at it, and speaks covertly and darkly. For he did not wish to bring upon himself superfluous enmities, and useless dangers". St. John Chrysostom, Commentary on the 2nd Epistle to the Thessalonians, PG 62.
33. See the article on Daniel the Righteous in the "�Prophecies" page 43, by L.M.D., in Greek.
34. It is explained by some to be immediate, but it seems that weight is given to the brevity of the situation.
35. Τhe Orthodox Word, 1969.
36. See more in the "�Epitome" by L.M.D.
37. "for a time and times and half a time". (LXX Daniel 7:25).
38. "And from the time of the removal of the perpetual sacrifice, when the abomination of desolation shall be set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days. Blessed is he that waits, and comes to the thousand three hundred and thirty-five days." (LXX Daniel 12:11-12).